Thursday, August 5, 2010

July 20th Return Ministries Part 2

Only 15 children live here at Return but there were about 200 children from the community here today. They were all excited to see the Muzungu. That is what they call white people. When we went to shopping in Uganda, I saw a shirt that said " My name is not Muzungu. " I am kicking myself for not buying it. I almost forgot what my name was while in Uganda. I am exaggerating. LOL But whenever children would see us walking on the road they would run to the road yelling muzungu,always happy to see us. Not so much w/ the older children but usually all it would take would be to make eye contact and say hello and you would get a smile. This first day at Return really opened our eyes, I believe,to so much!! These children just wanted our love. You could not get too far w/ out someone wanting to be held on your lap.
To have this little one fall asleep in my arms was so special. At that moment , I knew I was right where I was suppose to be.

                                       I know this was a very special moment for Marge.
You could tell that these children were so desperate for love and for our attention. It broke my heart but it also gave me confirmation and felt so blessed and honored to be there and share God's love w/ them. It was a little overwhelming at times but I was in awe of it more.
 This is what I mean by overwhelming. I do not know if you can see her or not but my teammate, Cynthia, decided she would get the body glitter out for the children. It reminded me of a couple of things. #1 ~ When the pinata is finally broken open at a birthday party & #2 The very first concert I went to and what it was like trying to get to the front of the stage. I actually ended up in the middle of a fight  and got punched in the face. LOL

I was holding this pumpkin pie and some of the girls were coming over and putting glitter   on her face. So , I had to get a picture. She was so precious and so beautiful! I worried about her when I was holding her; wondering if she was sick. So many of the children came in their fanciest clothes. It was such a humbling experience.

It was so funny to me that the children I was drawn to the most and that were drawn to me were boys. My husband and I joke that if we were to have more children we take a chance of having more boys. He tries to use that to keep me from wanting more children. Now, don't get me wrong , I love and enjoy my boys but they are crazy. LOL Every place I went there seemed to be one boy who spoke pretty good English and would come along side of me and help me to understand what everyone around me was saying. It was the sweetest thing and I have to say that boys are so much fun!!!! I was blessed beyond words by boys. I wish I could have brought them all home w/ me!! This was my boy at Return.:0) I am so sad to say that I cannot remember all of the names of the children who have made their way into my heart on this trip.I have their pictures and will treasure them. The Lord knows their name as I pray for them.

2 comments:

  1. Jen, you are doing such a great job chronicling your trip...I'm thoroughly enjoying it and being blessed by your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GULP! That picture of Marge is priceless!
    Thank you for taking the time to share with all of us Jen.
    Your pictures are PERFECT!!!

    Love the glitter!

    ReplyDelete